Studio Workshops Online – Live and Interactive via ZOOM
• 03-04 June 2023 (AEST)
• 26-27 August 2023 (AEST)
Photoshop is what it is. Its inconsistencies aren’t going to be resolved anytime soon, while its errors and contradictions can be equally of our own making, confusion and inexperience. So how might we begin an engagement with our images that harnesses the magic and power of our current tools while evolving beyond their inherent limitations? This intermediate/advanced one day workshop quickly identifies ‘Photoshop’s fatal flaws’ and provides solutions to the most pressing issues via the 3DLUT Creator application. This workshop is therefore both a comprehensive introduction to 3DLUT Creator, and a sophisticated yet surprisingly intuitive, and most importantly, visually oriented image editing workflow. Specific topics that have been covered in this workshop include:
Why 3DLUT Creator?
• A Photoshop SWOT Analysis
• What is missing in our typical workflows?
• Selections, masks, nodes, and gamma encoding
• The psychology of colour – appearance and sensation
• Physics vs. Physiology
• Colour models vs. colour gamuts
• RGB vs. HSV vs. LAB colour models
• What are Look Up Tables?
3DLUT Creator Fundamentals
• Creating and working with LUTs
• Grids – A/B and C/L
• Curves – Saturation/Luminance
• Nodes – Selecting, pinning, editing, and resetting
3DLUT Creator Tools
• RGB vs Non-RGB tool sets
• Channels and Volume Tools
• Choosing the most appropriate colour model
• Choosing the most appropriate tool
3DLUT Creator Strategies
• Drawing, tonal, and colour compositions
• Editing brightness independently of hue and saturation
• Editing saturation independently of brightness
• Editing hue independently of saturation
3DLUT Creator Workflows
• Integrating 3DLUT Creator with other applications
• Adobe Lightroom – Photoshop – 3DLUT Creator
• Capture One – 3DLUT Creator
• Affinity Photo – Neo Finder – 3DLUT Creator
Inquiry based learning is at the heart of this workshop. By understanding pictures first and Photoshop second, we distinguish what needs to be done from what can be done. This clarifies how Photoshop helps or hinders the process, what tools work as expected or don’t, and how 3DLUT Creator achieves so precisely and intuitively what Photoshop can’t. Such an approach quickly and efficiently solves real world imaging problems while also freeing up time, energy and focus that can be better devoted to other considerations. Video conferencing and remote desktop software facilitate a uniquely comprehensive yet individual learning experience where your artistic practice, knowledge and needs focus the inquiry, while your engagement and participation defines its outcomes.
The workshop is supported by a resource rich website with detailed course notes and videos.
Venue: Interactive Broadcast from Les Walkling’s Studio, Melbourne
Duration: 10.00am – 1.00pm Saturday and Sunday (AEST/AEDT)
Class Size: Average class size of 5
Cost: AUS $330 including GST per person
Bookings: Email or Phone +61 4 38 59 00 93
Updated 26 November 2022