Studio Workshops Online – Live and Interactive via ZOOM
• 11-12 March 2023 (AEDT)
As distinct from capturing an image in the camera, Photoshop allows us to make an image, or create an image, or substantially refine or evolve an image. It allows us to combine images and design around images, even analyse images, but most importantly, it allows us to magically transform our images. It is not only the world’s leading image editing program, it is an indispensable tool in the imaginative visual realisation of our thoughts, feelings and associations. While other programs can perform some of the same tasks as Photoshop, such as the processing of camera RAW files, Photoshop can do so much more. This introductory workshop is dedicated to that ‘so much more’. Topics that have been covered in this workshop include:
• Photoshop SWAT analysis
• Navigating Photoshop without losing your way
• Making sure Photoshop’s settings and preferences are correct
• The Psychology of colour – perception, appearance and sensation
• Where does Photoshop fit into my workflow?
• Taming Photoshop’s complexity and eliminating confusion
• Nondestructive versus destructive image editing
• Managing Colour in Photoshop
• The famous five colour and density correction fundamentals
• Choosing the right colour space and bit depth
• Customising Photoshop workspaces
• Are you a Slider, a Curve control freak, or a Blending Mode aficionado?
Working with Photoshop
• Working creatively with blending modes – colour and tone equivalence
• Layer masks and local corrections
• Colour Models – which tool to use when?
• Automating repetitive Photoshop tasks through Actions that work
• The three requirements for combining images together
• Refining selection and masking techniques
• Making a composite not look like a composite
• Luminosity masking – good enough for Hollywood
• Luminosity – substituting and redefining
• Enhancing the 3rd dimension with Reverse Overlay Masking
• Creative image distortion
• Beyond the literal – atmospherics and presence
The course is organised around practical exercises and solutions to common imaging problems, with an overall emphasis on working confidently and with assurance that you are doing ‘the right thing’. Photoshop poetics go hand-in-hand with fast and furious processing strategies, within a simple yet proficient workflow. Though not essential, participants are encouraged to bring along a laptop with a recent version of Photoshop installed.
The workshop is also supported by a resource rich website including detailed course notes, videos, Photoshop Actions and images.
Venue: Interactive Broadcast from Les Walkling’s Studio, Melbourne
Duration: 6+ hours from 10.00am – 1.00pm Saturday & Sunday (AEST/AEDT)
Support: Extensive notes, videos, test forms and edited ZOOM excerpts
Class Size: Average class size of 6
Cost: AUS $330 including GST per person
More Information: See FAQ (Education)
Bookings: Email or Phone +61 4 38 59 00 93
Updated 26 November 2022