Studio Workshops Online – Live and Interactive
• 22 May 2022
• 23 October 2022
This intermediate/advanced studio workshop is all about colour: understanding it, working with it, representing it, manipulating it and ensuring accurate and correct colour when and where you need it – from capture to display, editing, printing, publishing and exhibiting. The aim is to dramatically improve your knowledge, understanding and ability to work confidently and creatively with colour, and with significantly enhanced colour fidelity, meaning and affect. Specific topics that have been covered in this workshop include:
• What is colour?
• Managing expectations – illusion versus fact
• Colouration – seeing colour
• Defining and working with colour gamuts
• Applied colour theory
• The elements of colour
• Colour and culture
• Colour ontology
• The reproduction of colour
• Processing colour – what lets you down?
• How is colour represented in a digital workflow?
• What is the relationship between an image and its colour space?
• What is the difference between assigning and converting colour profiles?
• How important are rendering intents and how are they used?
• How to best evaluate colour fidelity?
Setting up a Colour Accurate Workflow
• What settings should you calibrate your monitors to?
• What light sources are best for print viewing and soft proofing?
• Understanding the numbers – which colour spaces should you work in?
• Collaborating with ProLabs, web designers, and pre media
• On a limited budget where will you get your greatest return?
At the workshop, colour in all of its manifestations is investigated in a professional colour managed workflow through real-world exercises in colour perception, colour mixing, colour harmony, colour calibration and colour fidelity. Video conferencing software enables the contemporary digital colour workflow, and its application and interpretation, to be critically investigated while remote desktop software supports best practice case studies.
The workshop is also supported by a resource rich website including detailed course notes, videos, and images.
Venue: Interactive Broadcast from Les Walkling’s Studio, Melbourne
Duration: 10.00am – 5.00pm – Australian Eastern Standard Time
Class Size: Average class size of 5
Cost: $330 including GST per person
Bookings: Email or Phone +61 4 38 59 00 93
Updated 22 January 2022